Visiting Japan (VISA)
*Please check the information of each visa categories to confirm which visa you need, and required documents.
The Visa Section of the Embassy of Japan in the Federated States of Micronesia takes care of the issuance of visas to enter Japan.Whether you need to obtain a visa in order to enter Japan differs according to the purpose of visit, length of your stay, your nationality, etc. So please read the following instructions carefully to determine if you need a visa.
- Our Office hours are Monday to Friday 9:00 a.m. to 16:30 p.m. (Visa window is closed Holidays)
- Visa fees are required upon pick-up time. except for those citizens of the countries are exempt from visa fees.
- Visa fee exemption for foreigners visiting Three Tohoku Prefectures (PDF)
Copies of Documents
- Embassy does not make copies. Please make copies if you want to keep same documents.
- If all requirements are met, most visas can normally be issued within 4-7 business days.
- However, there are certain cases that require referral to the Ministry in Japan. These cases may take 1-2 months.
Who can apply for a visa?
- The visa applicant may apply in person.
- Visa applications should be submited to the Japanese embassy with jurisdiction over applicant's place of permanent residence. You may apply for a visa at this Embassy if you live, work.
- If you are not located in the FSM, please contact the Japanese Embassy or Consulate that handles visas for your area. We may decline visa applications from areas outside our jurisdiction.
- When a visa applicant is filed by proxy, the applicant must be physically in FSM, as the visa applicant may be requested to appear in person for an interview. Please note that applications will no be accepted if the documents are inadequate.
- If you have any questions, please feel free to call the Visa Section at 320-5465. You may also click "here" to send a request for visa information by email.
Applications by proxiesIn principle, applicants need to apply in person at the Embassy but for the applicants who meet any of the following:
(1) Under 16 y.o., over 60 y.o. or having difficulties in coming to the Embassy for physical disabilities.
(2) Traveling for business, conference, seminar or short-term training.
(3) Having traveled to Japan with a visa within the past 3 (three) years from the time of application. (That needs to be recorded on the applicant’s passport.)
It may be acceptable that they apply by proxy (the applicants’ fellow workers, relatives et al.).
* An applicant is requested to submit a “Letter of Proxy / Power of Attorney” that has the name of the applicant’s proxy with other required documents. The proxy is requested to verify his/her ID with relevant document(s) at the Embassy.
* Applications by proxies may be accepted only if applicants are located in the FSM.
*If you have any questions, please feel free to call the Visa Section at 320-5465. You may also click "here" to send a request for visa information by email.